Two-factor authentication (2FA)#
- You need access to the n8n instance owner account.
- Available on self-hosted n8n.
- Coming soon to n8n Cloud.
Twofactor authentication (2FA) adds a second authentication method on top of username and password. This increases account security. n8n supports 2FA using an authenticator app.
You need an authenticator app on your phone.
To enable 2FA in n8n:
- Go to you Settings > Personal.
- Select Enable 2FA. n8n opens a modal with a QR code.
- Scan the QR code in your authenticator app.
- Enter the code from your app in Code from authenticator app.
- Select Continue. n8n displays recovery codes.
- Save the recovery codes. You need these to regain access to your account if you lose your authenticator.
Disable 2FA for your instance#
Self-hosted users can configure their n8n instance to disable 2FA for all users by setting
N8N_MFA_ENABLED to false. Note that n8n ignores this if existing users have 2FA enabled. Refer to Configuration methods for more information on configuring your n8n instance with environment variables.