n8n public REST API#
Using n8n's public API, you can programmatically perform many of the same tasks as you can in the GUI. This section introduces n8n's REST API, including:
- How to authenticate
- Paginating results
- Using the built-in API playground (self-hosted n8n only)
- Endpoint reference
n8n provides an n8n API node to access the API in your workflows.
Learn about REST APIs#
The API documentation assumes you are familiar with REST APIs. If you're not, these resources may be helpful:
- KnowledgeOwl's guide to working with APIs: a basic introduction, including examples of how to call REST APIs.
- IBM Cloud Learn Hub - What is an Application Programming Interface (API): this gives a general, but technical, introduction to APIs.
- IBM Cloud Learn Hub - What is a REST API?: more detailed information about REST APIs.
- mdn web docs - An overview of HTTP: REST APIs work over HTTP, and use HTTP verbs, or methods, to indicate the type of action to perform.
Use the API playground (self-hosted n8n only)
Trying out the API in the playground can help you understand how APIs work. If you're worried about changing live data, consider setting up a test workflow, or test n8n instance, to explore safely.